We can trance Binsted back to Saxon times and maybe even before. The Anglo Saxon name Binsted signifies a place where beans are grown.
The small parish of Binsted lies 2½ miles west of Arundel, (the Chichester – Arundel road crossing its north end). The ancient parish covered 1,106 acres.
In the modern period settlement has been scattered, but the uneven surface of the field north of the church, which now stands isolated, may suggest that there was a village there, linking the church with the former vicarage and the manor house (Church Farm), which are known to be on early sites: a spring near the church makes the site suitable for early occupation. Near the former vicarage what are thought to be the platform for a tithe barn and a medieval bell founding pit have been excavated.

  • Binsted church existed in the mid 12th century, By 1291 it had been appropriated to Tortington priory and a vicarage had been ordained  Sales of timber from Binsted Woods were recorded in 1279.
  • Pottery was probably made at Binsted in the early 14th century, some inhabitants being surnamed at Potte in 1332 and in the early 15th century. Kilns stood on a pocket of Reading Beds clay where Binsted Lane meets the lane from Walberton.
  • Binsted woods were evidently part of Arundel forest, which in the early 15th century included Avisford in Walberton.
  • The southern half of the parish was in 1615 called Lower Binsted, but earlier Hoeland or the Hoes, from an Anglo-Saxon word meaning a heel or projecting ridge of land: it lies between the Binsted brook on the west and a tributary, the streams along much of their courses forming the parish boundary.
  • An east-west route 400 meters to the south may be on the line of the Roman road to Chichester. A broad bridleway between well defined banks, it was mentioned in the 13th or 14th century as the king's highway and shown as a roadway in 1606 and 1715.
  • The Chichester - Arundel road was shown on maps in the early 17th century and in 1675 across the north end of the parish, (By 1981 it had been rebuilt as a wide dual carriageway).
  • A third east-west road crossing the centre of the parish, mentioned in 1615 as a road between Binsted and Arundel, survived in 1992 as a fairly wide footpath for most of its course within Binsted. West of the church it crosses the Binsted brook by a footbridge called Kenimore Bridge in 1727.
  • A road, mostly metal, runs in a U shape from the main road round the centre of the parish to link the various settlements but does not cross the parish boundary. It was called Church Lane in 1840 and Binsted Lane in 1961.
  • Its extent has not changed greatly since 1840, and it contains many indications of being ancient.
  • Local historians say that a pool was built as an ornament lake in the grounds of the old manor house which burnt down before World War 2.

Binsted house has existed as a Manor since 1600. It is thought that the stone flint which was used in the construction were from a much earlier manor house
In 1601 William. Ottley and Edward Blofield conveyed the manor to the Revd. Henry Blaxton, Thomas Knight, and Edward Staker of Yapton.
By 1663 Staker or a namesake had acquired other property in Binsted, and Edward Staker was succeeded by his second son Edward, who bought more land in 1679 and died at Binsted in 1694
The estate passed in turn to Henry Staker (d. 1726 at Binsted) and to Edward Staker; one or more men called Edward Staker were churchwardens at intervals from 1742 to 1800
An Edward Staker was buried in Binsted church in 1825. His estate had passed by 1861 to William Henry Read, then occupying Binsted House as in 1882 when he was one of the chief landowners and described as lord of the manor.
Gamekeepers were registered in 1784-5 by Edward Staker of Binsted House and from 1786 to 1861 by the owners of Church farm.
Edward Staker Read, the owner in 1903 and 1924, had by 1927 been succeeded by C. E. Read. By 1947 the estate had passed to Read's son-in-law Henry Pethers, and most of the land was later bought by E. E. Wishart and added to Binsted Farms Ltd., centered on Church Farm.