St John’s Church, Coolhurst is situated on land belonging to the Coolhurst Estate. It was consecrated in 1839. It was built by Charles Scrase-Dickins of Coolhurst.

Much of the interior woodwork was made from trees grown on the Coolhurst estate. There is a private burial area to the west of the church owned and maintained by the Coolhurst Estate.
The stone for the roof came from a blacksmith’s shop in Slaugham which was demolished in 1837 and extensive restoration of the roof was undertaken in 1975. The reredos, or altar piece, was given to the church in memory of John Aldridge by his wife and children after his death in 1880. It is a triptych, a three-panelled picture showing Jesus with the disciples at Emmaus, flanked by the Blessed Virgin Mary and St John the Evangelist with his Gospel and chalice in the panels either side.
St John’s Church contains some fine stained glass. Particularly notable is the east window with its 13th Century style medallions by Ward and Hughes, circa 1860. The two windows on the south wall, depicting the Virgin Mary with the child Jesus and St John the Evangelist were installed in about 1899 and are the work of Charles Kempe, one of the finest Victorian stain-glass makers. A Kempe Society exists to protect and preserve his work. Kempe’s tomb is in Chichester Cathedral, as he was born in Sussex and died in Lindfield.
In 1889 St. John’s was completely restored and the chancel added from designs by J. Oldrid Scott at the cost of £3,300.